World’s Largest Juggling & Circus Arts Festival comes to Ireland
The world’s largest juggling and circus arts event the 'European Juggling Convention' (EJC) takes place from July 19th to 26th in Millstreet, Co Cork. It not only attracts thousands of amateur and professional jugglers from across the world, but also sees a number of events open to the public including a Family Day on Tuesday the 22nd, a parade through Millstreet followed by the Juggling Olympics on Saturday the 26th, workshops for the whole family all during the week and world class circus shows on both Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th. The EJC attracts the worlds most talented and respected circus and juggling artists who will arrive from the USA, Australia, Germany, the UK, France, Holland, Argentina and New Zealand.
At today’s [7th July 2014] launch event marking the EJC’s coming to Millstreet the Mayor of Cork County, Cllr. Alan Coleman, said “Cork County Council is delighted to be supporting this distinctive event and I am pleased that Millstreet has been chosen once again to host the European Juggling Convention. This event was previously held in Millstreet in 2006 and is still remembered by the people of Cork and further afield due its unique ethos and the element of fun and adventure that surrounds the event”.
The EJC includes daily juggling and circus arts workshops, major performances and skill-sharing. It also includes circus shows, games and a series of specially organised family friendly events. Saturday the July 26th sees the keystone event - The Gala Show hosted on the main stage with performances from the worlds most talented and respected circus and juggling artists. The weeklong event will specifically feature:
- ‘Juggling Olympics’ circus skills games involving significant skill, such as 5-ball or 7-ball endurance juggling – free entrance for all.
- A Family day that will include street shows, workshops and other entertainment.
- Outreach workshops in circus skills open to the public
- The ‘Legend Stage’ with the circus worlds legends performing a rare show
- Masterclasses from circus artists and jugglers of international renown
- A monster parade of attendees to show off their skills and thank the local community – a great free event for families.
- A full-scale circus show hosted every evening
- Workshops in every circus discipline imaginable – juggling, poi, spinning, diabolo, devilstick, hats, cigar boxes, spinning, acrobatics, unicycle, tightrope, clowning, improv, cyr wheel, German wheel and many more!
The 'Juggling Legends' are people who have gained their reputation through amazing and beautiful performances or groundbreaking ideas. A number have written books and do unbelievable tricks and slick routines. They are scheduled to perform in a once-off show, never before seen anywhere – The Legend Stage.
People travel from all over the world to EJC and are particularly attracted to the workshops taking place every day for attendees. In fact those traveling the furthest are a group of German women living in Otago, New Zealand – the furthest land point from Ireland. The workshops include club, ball and ring juggling, passing, poi, diabolo, devilstick, hats, cigar boxes, spinning, acrobatics, unicycle, tightrope, clowning, improv, cyr wheel, German wheel and many more.
EJC is the world’s largest juggling and circus arts event. It has held every year, in a different European country. The event has been running since 1978 when 11 jugglers convened in Brighton, UK. The largest ever EJC was held in Munich, Germany in 2011 and attracted a whopping 7,200 jugglers.
EJC takes place in the Green Glens Arena, Millstreet, Co. Cork, Ireland (Find it here https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&q=Green+Glens+Arena,+Millstreet,+Co.+Cork,+Ireland)
Day passes to the festival and show tickets available at the Green Glens Box Office. See www.ejc2014.org for further details.
For more information contact:
- Ultan Sharkey
- EJC 2014 Public relations
Fully captioned photographs are available for your use here: